Chris Lay, a member of Geek Orthodox Church on FB, described it as “a 2.5 hour setup for the ‘bonus’ credit sequence.” Yep, that pretty much sums it up.
While I don’t think it butchers comic characters as badly as Origins did, this film fails to achieve the action that Origins had. Mostly this was littered with stupid things…
- Famke Janssen appears too much, which quickly goes from showing Logan is haunted to haunting you about the horror of X3
- Beginning was much more a Grizzly Adams remake than anything else.
- Logan afraid of flying (didn’t he get over that after film 1?)
- Creepy Dr lady who apparently is Viper/Madam Hydra…?
- Origins Intro makes one wonder why Logan would have just been chilling in a Jap WW2 prison.
- Giant train fight was a spectacular game of leap frog, yet oddly boring
- PG-13 sex… scene… I think?
- Wolverine gets pissed at Mariko’s fiancee for fooling around when he just fooled around with Mariko
- Logan losing powers doesn’t stop his hands healing each time his claws pop out
- Long boring village scene
- Movie has ninjas, but fights still are boring
- Silver Samurai… wtf? Really, who was the Silver Samurai in this film?
- Viper’s poison immunity somehow makes her immune to being shot in the heart and then falling a few stories how?
- Wolverine can’t heal his claws for what seemed a good five minutes, then in seconds grows them back just in time so he can finish the fight.
So the best part is the after credits scene. And to save you the 2.5 hours and 10 or so dollar fee, here you go! Go watch it on You Tube there! Or not, but I really think this film is better off catching it on Netflix or whenever FX gets hold of it and puts it on TV. None of the fight scenes really does anything, you don’t get much on any of the characters either so they all just seem to be there, without much story to it.
Oh, and that after-credits scene sure brings up a lot of questions that better get answered in the Days of Future Past film (unlike Amazing Spider-Man’s missing plot that was highly teased in the commercials). Like how exactly does Magneto have his powers again? Why is Xavier alive? That matter if he lived, why didn’t he show back up during X3 to help them!?