Version 2.1 is here! Why 2.1? Well this is basically version 2 but with a rant about Crisis events due to a recent message from Didio countering an older interview of Harras and Berganza.
Just a note, this may be the last timeline I put up for a while. I will still keep track of any new info I come across, but so far the second wave hasn’t really put out info to hint at where events have happened in the new timeline. So what info I get I’ll keep track of but I’m not going to put up a new version if I only have a few small pieces to add.
7 or 8 years ago
- Batman starts? This is still guess work mostly off of Justice League #1 and Detective Comics #1.
6 years ago
- Joker first appears: Detective Comics #1.
5 years ago
- Superman arrives in Metropolis: Still probably closer to 5.5 years or maybe even 6. Mostly Action Comics #1.
- Victor Stone becomes Cyborg: It hasn’t happened yet, but it seems clear from the Justice League #1 cover he’ll soon become Cyborg.
- Justice League begins: Pretty much same story as Victor Stone; Justice League #1.
3 years ago
- Barbara Gordon paralyzed/becomes Oracle: Batgirl #1, though her being Oracle is still uncertain in this new universe, it seems most her history is in tact so I’m assuming for now Oracle was part of her life.
2 years ago
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: This is first hinted in Hawk and Dove #1 w/ Nightwing #1 making it clear it wasn’t Final Crisis.
1 year ago
- Bruce Wayne “dies”: Only a slight bit of guesswork from Nightwing #1.
- Final Crisis happened: Little more tentative than Bruce dying, but taking from Nightwing #1.
- Dick Grayson became Batman: Little under 1 year ago, Nightwing #1.
- Damian Wayne becomes Robin: Nightwing #1.
- Tim Drake becomes Red Robin: Nightwing #1.
Less than a year back
- Superboy was created (~4.5 months ago): Superboy #1.
- Blackest Night: No actual time still, but it happened while Dick was Batman so sometime in the past year.
So you see that the two Crisis events are in red, right? Well this is for we have now been given at least two different stories from DC on the relaunch. Two interviews (I’ve sadly lost the link to one of them) has stated certain events are still part of history? The link I still have is a Newsarama interview with Bob Harras (DC Editor in Chief) and Eddie Berganza (DC Executive Editor). In there they state Identity Crisis happened along with Blackest Night and other events. They don’t state for any other Crisis events, but Identity Crisis is still listed as being part of history by them. Now DC Co-Publisher Dan Didio on his Facebook page (which as I’m writing this sadly is appearing with a blank wall to me at least – luckily I quoted that post in a forum) has stated about two weeks ago that there has been no Crisis events. No Crisis events at all. To be precise the post I saw of Didio stated:
For those in crisis over Crisis, let me clarify. The topic of Crisis was much discussed among the editors and talent working on The New 52. With so many characters and histories restarting, major events like Crisis are harder to place when they work for some and not for others. (that was one of the problems coming out of the original Crisis). While we are starting aprx five years into our heroes’ lives, we are focused on the characters present and future, and past histories will be revealed as the stories dictate. Yes, there have been “crisis” in our characters lives, but they aren’t exactly the Crisis you read before, they can’t be. Now, what this means for characters seen and unseen…… well, that’s the fun of The New 52, infinite stories, infinite possibilities, with the best yet to come.
So who are we suppose to believe here? The Harras/Berganza interview was back in June. But at the time at least they claimed to have at least a basic timeline written up to list what events did and did not take place. They made it seem DC had at least a decent plan how things were in this new universe, and that included Crisis events. Didio’s statement though at least is newer and he is at least claiming the editors talked a good deal on this and decided no Crisis events. Personally, I want to believe Harras and Berganza, but part of that at least is I feel Didio is mostly an idiot.
The big issue to me though isn’t if there was or wasn’t Crisis event(s) in the new universe. No matter how I look at this it shows DC does not have their stuff together and that a few possibilities are here. One is that people in DC are just not on the same page in terms of this relaunch, which could lead to a lot of trouble later on. Another is DC just keeps changing their mind on things (for whatever reason), which again can easily lead to a lot of problems later on. This might even be showing a split in the ranks of DC in thoughts on how this relaunch should be done, which will really be problematic for everything if this is the case. I’m sure there could be other reasons out there to these contradicting stories, but all this is doing just makes me worry all over again about the state of this relaunch.
There is no way Identity Crisis could have happened in the DCnU. Ralph Dibny is the central character. He was never a member of the JLA. The SSoSV never traded bodies with the JLA, which means that Zatanna never wiped their memories, There wasn;t a JLA satellite for Sue to be on monitor duty at, which means Doctor Light never could have raped her. That means no mindwipe, no Zatanna mindwiping Batman, no Identity Crisis,