From my back and fourth with Grey today I came to the conclusion that you can learn a lot about a DC fan given their opinions on who should be on the Justice League. I am not a Big 7 man, hell I am not even a trinity man. The one JLA comic that I have truly loved is JLI. I say this to prepare you for the fact that my ideal roster is pretty unothordox. So lets just have it.
1) Captain Marvel – I am a huge fan of the big red cheese. In my opinion he should be able to kick Superman’s arse. However he is NOT a superman analogue. To use him as such is a real disservice to his character. I have never understood why there isn’t an ongoing Whiz comic.
2) Batwoman – There has to be a Batman representative on any Justice League but Batman is over-saturated. Lets give Kate a chance.
3) Zatanna – ok brace yourself guys — I would much rather have Zee on the Justice League than Wonder Woman. Sorry.
4) Mera – If there is one good thing about Blackest Night is that it showed people how awesome Mera is. She is anything but an Aquaman clone. As a xebel native, though, she actually has all the cool super powers you would expect from someone called “Aquaman.”
5) Bloodwynd – He has a pretty convoluted history however I think his origin story is pretty solid. I don’t get why this original black character wasn’t pushed harder in DC’s attempt to diversify their line.
6) Doctor Light – one of the myriad wonderful creations of COIE that has been criminally underused since. Kimiyo is a c-list character that deserves to be on the A-list.
7) Connor Hawke – What can I say, I am a product of the 90s. I love characters like Connor and Kyle. Given that DC is intent on making me never read a Green Arrow/Arsenal story ever again why not bring back Connor?
8 ) Blue Beetle – I think Jaime Reyes is DC’s Spiderman – and they know it. IF all the kids running around now grow up to read comic books they will read Blue Beetle.
9) Rocket Red – If you are reading JL-GL then you know that Gavril Ivanovich is, as Greg recently put it, “the breakout character of the year.”
10) Brother Ward/Bzzzd – I don’t really know much about him except that he is a meditating humanoid elephant. Sold. Since Blue Lanterns need a green lantern to manifest their powers I though Bzzzd would be a good juxtaposition. I am pretty sick of all the other Green Lanterns.
11) Josiah Power – Although a meta-human of immense undisclosed power I think given his experience with Power company he would make a fine Max Lord replacement.