Been a while, huh? Some of the latest #0 issues though has given some nice input to the timeline that I just couldn’t ignore it. Due note spoilers (mainly beneath the timeline) and that this has a very Bat-family focus on the new parts.
~27 years ago
- Kal-El/Superman is born: So its the second actual age of a character I’ve seen (after Damian), and more so its one of the big “3″ too! Taking this off H’el’s speech, instead of Clark’s approximation of 25 years ago, and the fact he was 3 months old when sent off. Superman #14
~11 years ago
- Damian Wayne is born: Yeah, huh? See below, but its guess work from Batman & Robin #0 and Nightwing #1.
~10 years ago
- Bruce Wayne leaves Gotham: In the “6 years ago” section its stated Bruce is recently returned after four years abroad in Batman #0.
6 years ago
- Batman starts: Previous guess of 7 or 8 based on JL#1 and DC#1, but Batman #0 seems that Bruce wasn’t quite Batman yet in the “6 years ago” bit.
- Joker first appears: Detective Comics #1.
5 years ago
- Superman arrives in Metropolis: Still probably closer to 5.5 years or maybe even 6. Mostly Action Comics #1.
- Victor Stone becomes Cyborg: Justice League #1
- Justice League begins: Justice League #1.
- Batsignal first used: Shows up just before the next one on this list, Batman #0
- Dick Grayson becomes the first Robin: Batman #0 in the “5 years ago” points to this by having Dick mention he’ll be performing with his family for Bruce Wayne, though Nightwing #0 shows it may be closer to 4.5 years before he actually dons the suit.
4 years ago
- Barbara becomes first (only?) Batgirl: Shown in Batgirl #0 while she is attending college.
3 years ago
- Barbara Gordon paralyzed/becomes Oracle: Batgirl #1, though I’m still unsure if she was Oracle as I’ve dropped Batgirl.
2 years ago
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: This is first hinted in Hawk and Dove #1 w/ Nightwing #1 making it clear it wasn’t Final Crisis.
1 year ago
- Bruce Wayne “dies”: Only a slight bit of guesswork from Nightwing #1.
- Final Crisis happened: Little more tentative than Bruce dying, but taking from Nightwing #1.
- Dick Grayson became Batman: Little under 1 year ago, Nightwing #1.
- Damian Wayne becomes Robin: Nightwing #1.
- Tim Drake becomes Red Robin: Nightwing #1.
Less than a year back
- Superboy was created (~4.5 months ago): Superboy #1.
- Blackest Night: No actual time still, but far as I’m concerned it happened while Dick was Batman, so sometime in the past year.
So some interesting things come from this. Damian was ten in Batman and Robin #0 and it seems the Batman and Son story arc (Batman 655-666) is more or less still cannon. As that would be pre-Dick Grayson Batman, well Damian would be 11 now. My bigger question, how does this fit in? Bruce it seemed didn’t even start his training to become Batman until 10 years ago. Damian, I’m assuming at least as Nightwing #1 put Dick becoming Batman a year back, is 11. It makes little sense if Damian is still to be Bruce’s son as Damian is a year older than Bruce’s world wide training event started. Can someone tell me if I’m missing something here?
There is one other really interesting point I found. It seems Dick would have become the first Robin around five years ago. It basically gives a year for each one to be Robin. But then, I’m under the impression that Dick was still Robin at least when Babs started out as Batgirl giving him at least a little over a year in the suit due to Batgirl #3 claiming “back when [they] were kids working with Batman” (plus in Batgirl #0 the Robin shown matches the suit Dick wears in Nightwing #0). Also according to Red Hood and the Outlaws #0 there was about a six month span where there was no Robin working the field. Then again, Jason wasn’t a Robin for that long of a time in the comics so he probably didn’t get a full year. Either way, it gives a four year time frame between when Dick started to Damian starting to also fit in Jason and Tim. I’d hope Stephanie Brown as well even if it would be just a month in the job, but that seems another story…
Finally, still unsure about Crisis events.
Help Wanted? With school and work, along with the expense of comics, I do not have the ability to keep up with all the comics out there. If you have anything that I’m missing, please comment the time, and what issue(s) you got it from and I will add it. I have a feeling that more #0 issues that I’m not picking up may have some nice bits to be added here.