Again, not as funny as usual, but Willingham is telling some back story here so I guess I’ll allow it. Jack may not be as funny as usual, but he’s still the biggest asshole in the world. He kills the gun store clerk for selling all his silver bullets, threatens the sheriff, threatens to kill his own men… all that and he’s only in this issue for less than five pages. The majority of the plot deals with Bigby making a mess of the town saloon, killing five people and maiming half a dozen others. What the hell, dude. You call that keeping a low profile? At the end of the book, Bigby decides that in order to catch up to Jack, he’ll have to wolf-out and bark at the moon. That’s not very fair, especially since Jack only managed to get his hands on one silver bullet. Question: How many silver bullets does it take to kill a wolf-man? Second part: Is it okay that Willingham is mixing mythologies here, crossing the Big Bad Wolf with traditional werewolves?
Mythos: Captain America #1 (***)
I’m not even sure why this book exists beyond being a marketing tool for the main title. It doesn’t really tell a compelling origin story instead it acts as an illustrated Wikipedia entry. I had this weird feeling all throughout reading this, like I was waiting for the plot to start. It never did. There is no plot. Not to say it’s badly written because it’s not. Not for what it is anyway. I’m one of the biggest Cap fans you will ever find and even I didn’t think this was essential reading, so I don’t think I can really recommend this one to anybody. Hmm, yet I still give it three stars… probably because I liked this cover so much, we’re using it in Marvel Evolution. SPOILER!
Thor: Reign of Blood #1 (*****)
I stopped in the middle of writing this review to go for a walk around the old neighborhood. I haven’t done that in years, since High School maybe. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because when I got back, I saw that Desiato had already posted everything I wanted to say about this book, but MORE and BETTER. So, I deleted what little I had written and wrote this stupid/lame paragraph of inner shame. However, I did save a little of what I wrote. For those interested, click below:
• Angel: After The Fall #9 (**): And we are back to suck. The art is just TOO bad. TOO TOO TOO bad. Distractingly bad. Didn’t I drop this POS?
• The Man With No Name #2 (*): I was wondering what happened to this book. I reviewed the first issue and if I remember correctly, the review wasn’t that bad. But this issue? This issue is bad.
• She-Hulk #30 (*): Peter David… why? Why do you hate?
• Ultimate Fantastic Four #55 (*): Oh man, I feel like I just ate bad Chinese.
• War Is Hell: The First Flight of The Phantom Eagle #4 (****): This books keeps getting better the longer it runs. Oh shit, only one issue to go.
• Wolverine: Origins #26 (***1/2): Um, not much to say. Way reveals Daken’s origin story and we kind of feel bad. And then Logan tortures some American-Japanese. What a jerk.